EnviroGulf Consulting provides an environmental review service to clients who wish to have their environmental management and monitoring programs critically appraised for relevance, comprehensiveness and credibility.
The main aim of the environmental review process is to appraise the validity and appropriateness of work performed and, as such, may be taken as a form of quality control. The environmental review involves collating all available information from company environmental reports and data summaries in order to check whether specific environmental programs are scientifically valid and that their implementation has been appropriate and timely, and that the results obtained are accurate and precise.
During the environmental review process, the original objectives and scope of work are re-appraised and the results from executed environmental programs are reviewed for relevance. In particular, current data-gathering activities are critically appraised for relevancy as follows:
- number of sampling stations.
- frequency of sampling.
- methods of sampling.
- sample processing.
- analytical methods.
- data reduction and analysis.
- statistical evaluation of data.
- data presentation.
EnviroGulf Consulting can review current work plans for specific projects. A review of the work plan also requires a clear identification of the environmental commitments and expectations that may be contained in agreements between a client and the regulatory authorities. Compliance of a client's operations within the existing regulatory framework will be a first point of reference for assessing the adequacy of environmental management and control measures.
EnviroGulf Consulting offers the following services:
- Review of licences and permits pertaining to environmental hazards.
- Determination of the current level of compliance with existing licences and permits.
- Identification of environmental hazards and assessment of their potential to cause significant environmental effects.
- Review of client's established procedures to manage and monitor hazards associated with day-to-day operations.
- Review of management of hazardous chemicals and reagents, their location, packaging, storage and vulnerability to accidental release and or misuse.
- Assessment of past environmental incidents and their resultant environmental effects.
- Assessment of environmental risks associated with off-specification (upset) conditions.
- Recommendations for eliminating potential hazards and changing management procedures.
- Preparation of technical reports on the above and on the basis of a site investigation carried during the course of an environmental audit.
Finally, confidentiality is strictly enforced by EnviroGulf Consulting on all our clients' data and information volunteered to any members of our environmental review and audit team.
The following are examples of environmental reviews:
- Wafi-Golpu Deep Sea Tailing Placement (DSTP) Project (2016 - ongoing) - Peer reviews of baseline studies of freshwater, marine ecology and ecosystem services. Assessments of residual freshwater ecology impacts of onshore pipeline construction and residual marine biological and ecotoxicological impacts of DSTP on the submarine slope, seabed and water column flora and fauna of the Huon Gulf, PNG (for Coffey to Morobe Mining Wafi-Golpu JV).
- Solwara 1 Project (2016 - ongoing) - Underwater noise and vibration assessment and predicted acoustic damage and disturbance impacts on whales, dolphins, fish and sea snakes from a Seafloor Massive Sulphide (SMS) mining operation (to Nautilus Minerals, Inc.).
- Papua LNG Project (2016 - ongoing) - Review and gap analysis of Environmental Baseline Studies. Assessment of freshwater, estuarine and marine impacts of construction and operation of upstream facilities (central processing plant), onshore and offshore export gas pipeline and downstream facilities (LNG Plant) and assisting in the preparation of an environmental, social and health impact statement (ESHIA) (to ERIAS Group for Total Exploration and Production, PNG).
- Pasca A Development Project (2015 - ongoing) - Integrated impact assessment of drill cutting disposal (five wells), wastewater discharges and underwater noise from an offshore gas processing platform with floating storage and offloading (FSO) vessels for condensate and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) on local offshore water quality and marine biological environment in the Gulf of Papua (in association with ERIAS Group to Twinza Oil Limited).
- Waisoi Copper and Gold Project, Fiji (2016 - ongoing) - Review and gap analysis of existing baseline information. Environmental impact assessment of project construction and operations on riverine water quality and freshwater ecology (to Coffey for Newcrest (Fiji) Limited).
- Black River Gas Exploration Drilling Project (2015) - Environmental Assessment and Management Plan (EAMP). Literature review to generate a species matrix of aquatic fauna likely to be present in the Black River and receiving Palmer River near the drilling site (to ERIAS Group Pty. Ltd. for Talisman Niugini Pty. Ltd and Repsol SA).
- Taenia Gas Exploration Drilling Project (2015) - Environmental Assessment and Management Plan (EAMP). Literature review to generate a species matrix of aquatic fauna likely to be present in the Ok Ma tributaries near the drilling site (to ERIAS Group Pty. Ltd. for Talisman Niugini Pty. Ltd and Repsol SA).
- Elevala Gas Field Development Project EIS Review, PNG (2015) - Review of baseline hydrology, surface water quality and aquatic ecology of rivers and lakes, and assessment of environmental impacts and mitigation methods of Horizon Oil Elevala Gas Field Development Project Environmental Impact Statement (to Coffey Environments for PNG Department of Environment and Conservation).
- Ok Tedi Mine Pit Shell Variation (PSV) Project, PNG (2014 - 2015) - Review and assessment of the Riverine Aquatic Ecology Program for mine life extension and technical and textual inputs to the proposed Ok Tedi Environmental Management Act (OKTEMA) (to Coffey Environments for PNG Department of Environment and Conservation).
- Ok Tedi Mine Life Extension Project, PNG (2013) - Review and assessment of the appropriateness, completeness and certainty of predictions for future changes to fish biomass and diversity downstream of the Ok Tedi mine under mine life extension scenarios compared to closure in 2015 (to Coffey Environments for PNG Department of Environment and Conservation).
- Bell Bay Pulp Mill Project Panel Inquiry (2006 - 2007) - Independent peer reviewer and expert witness to Freehills (a commercial law firm) in preparing its case for the Resource Planning and Development (RPDC) Panel Inquiry into the Draft Integrated Impact Statement (Draft IIS) for the Bell Bay Pulp Mill Project, Tasmania (to Freehills for Gunns Limited).
- PNG Queensland Gas Pipeline Project (2006) - Critical review and edits of the Marine Survey Report on the Pipeline Route Alignment Options through the Warrior Reefs System in Torres Strait, Australia (to Enesar Consulting Pty Ltd for AGL Petronas Consortium).
- Offshore Oil Production Facilities Environmental Upgrade (2003-2004) - Review and assessment of current oily waste and wastewater discharges from offshore oil and gas production, Gas and Oil Separation Plant (GOSP) and tie-in platforms and determination of compliance with local and international effluent and receiving water quality standards (in association with ABB Lummus Global B.V. to Saudi Consulting and Design Office (SCADO) for Saudi Aramco, Oil Facilities Planning Division).
- Analysis of public submissions on the IFA process (1996) - Analysis of public submissions on the Interim Forest Assessment process in New South Wales and production of report (to Resources and Conservation Assessment Council, NSW).
- Horn Island Environmental Review (1993) - Assessment of trace metal concentration data for mangrove cockles (Polymedosa erosa) and marine sediments in relation to metal-contaminated runoff from a former gold mining site on Horn Island, Torres Strait (to Queensland Department of Minerals & Energy).
- Torres Strait Baseline Study (1993) - Technical review, statistical analyses and interpretation of baseline results from the Torres Strait Scientific Baseline Program (to Ok Tedi Mining Limited, Papua New Guinea).
- Sansu Gold Project (1992) - Stage I review report for an open-pit mining runoff study for the Sansu Project at Obuasi, Ghana (to Ashanti Goldfields Corporation).
- Northshore Noosa Project (1986) - Review of sewage effluent management options and assessment of potential water quality impacts on the Noosa River, Queensland (with NSR/Maunsell & Partners for Leisuremark Australia Pty. Ltd).
- Beaconsfield Gold Mine (Tasmania) - Environmental assessment of the toxicity of cyanidation tailing and tailing pond cyanogenic supernatant and prediction of potential environmental effects on the Tamar Estuary, Tasmania (with NSR for John Miedecke & Partners Pty. Ltd.).
- Bukit Young Goldmine (Malaysia) - Assessment of water and wastewater management, disposal and detoxification of cyanided gold mill and heap leach effluents from the Bukit Young Gold Mine, Sarawak, Malaysia (with NSR for Middle East Timber Company, Singapore).
- Various gold mines (Ghana) - Reconnaissance site visits and assessment of cyanide management at gold mines in Ghana; Obuasi Gold Mine, Tarkwa Gold Mine, Teberebie Gold Mine, Prestea Gold Mine, Bogosu Gold Mine (with NSR for Ghana Minerals Commission).