Independent Expert Witness & Peer Reviews
Independent Expert Witness & Peer Reviews
The Principal of EnviroGulf Consulting offers independent reviews of project documents, such as Environmental Impact Statements (EISs), environmental baseline sampling plans, and construction or operations Environmental Management Plans (EMPs) etc. These services are based on the Principal's 40+ years local and international experience in environmental impact assessments of natural resource projects.
The following consulting services are provided to private and government clients:
- Environmental reviews and critical appraisals of Environmental Inception Reports (EIRs), Environmental Plans (EPs), Environmental Impact Assessments (EIAs), Environmental, Social and Health Impacts Assesments (ESHIA), Environmental Impact Statements (EISs), Environmental Management and Monitoirng Programs (EMMPs), et cetera.
- Gap analyses of the preceding environmental assessment documents for compliance with Equator Principles and World Bank and International Finance Corporation (IFC) performance standards.
- Expert witness in legal cases assessing project environmental impacts and ecological risk assessments.
The Principal of EnviroGulf Consulting has undertaken the following assignments:
- Wafi-Golpu Deep Sea Tailing Placement (DSTP) Project (2016 - ongoing) - Peer review of baseline studies of freshwater, marine ecology and ecosystem services. Assessments of residual freshwater ecology impacts of onshore pipeline construction and residual marine biological and ecotoxicological impacts of DSTP on the submarine slope, seabed and water column flora and fauna of the Huon Gulf, PNG (for Coffey to Morobe Mining Wafi-Golpu JV).
- Papua LNG Project (2016 - ongoing) - Review and gap analysis of Environmental Baseline Studies. Assessment of freshwater, estuarine and marine impacts of construction and operation of upstream facilities (central processing plant), onshore and offshore export gas pipeline and downstream facilities (LNG Plant) and assisting in the preparation of an environmental, social and health impact statement (ESHIA) (to ERIAS Group for Total Exploration and Production, PNG).
- Elevala Gas Field Development Project EIS Review (2015) - Expert review of baseline hydrology, surface water quality and aquatic ecology of rivers and lakes, and assessment of environmental impacts and mitigation methods of Horizon Oil's Elevala Gas Field Development Project's Environmental Impact Statement (to Coffey Environments for PNG Department of Environment and Conservation).
- Black River Gas Exploration Drilling Project (2015) - Environmental Assessment and Management Plan (EAMP). Literature review to generate a species matrix of aquatic fauna likely to be present in the Black River and receiving Palmer River near the drilling site (to ERIAS Group Pty. Ltd. for Talisman Niugini Pty. Ltd and Repsol SA).
- Taenia Gas Exploration Drilling Project (2015) - Environmental Assessment and Management Plan (EAMP). Literature review to generate a species matrix of aquatic fauna likely to be present in the Ok Ma tributaries near the drilling site (to ERIAS Group Pty. Ltd. for Talisman Niugini Pty. Ltd and Repsol SA).
- Ok Tedi Mine Pit Shell Variation (PSV) Project (2014 - 2015) - Expert review and assessment of the Riverine Aquatic Ecology Program for mine life extension and technical and textual inputs to the proposed Ok Tedi Environmental Management Act (OKTEMA) (to Coffey Environments for PNG Department of Environment and Conservation).
- Ok Tedi Mine Life Extension Project (2013) - Review and assessment of the appropriateness, completeness and certainty of predictions for future changes to fish biomass and diversity downstream of the Ok Tedi mine under mine life extension scenarios compared to closure in 2015 (to Coffey Environments for PNG Department of Environment and Conservation).
- PNG LNG Project (2008 - 2009) - Papua New Guinea Liquefied Natural Gas Project - Peer review of environmental impacts on the hydrology, water quality and aquatic ecology of freshwater, estuarine and marine waters arising from upstream developments (gas production and conditioning, and onshore export gas pipeline) and downstream developments (LNG Plant and associated infrastructure)(to Coffey Natural Systems for Esso Highlands Ltd).
- Bell Bay Pulp Mill Project Panel Inquiry (2006 - 2007) - Witness Statement: Independent peer reviewer and expert witness to Freehills (a commercial law firm) in preparing its case for the Resource Planning and Development (RPDC) Panel Inquiry into the Draft Integrated Impact Statement (Draft IIS) for the Bell Bay Pulp Mill Project, Tasmania (to Freehills for Gunns Limited) and include the following:
- Witness Statement Appendix 2 - Residual Impacts of Water Supply Pipeline Construction at the River Tamar Crossing (to Freehills for Gunns Limited).
- Witness Statement Appendix 3 - Residual Impacts of Wharf Facility - Construction and Operations (to Freehills for Gunns Limited).
- Witness Statement Appendix 4 - Construction Impacts of the Effluent Pipeline Crossing of Donovans Bay (to Freehills for Gunns Limited).
- Witness Statement Appendix 5 - Residual Impacts of Marine Construction (to Freehills for Gunns Limited).
- Witness Statement Appendix 6 - Residual Impacts of the Effluent Discharge Within the Mixing Zone (to Freehills for Gunns Limited).
- PNG Queensland Gas Pipeline Project (2006) - Critical review and edits of the Marine Survey Report on the Pipeline Route Alignment Options through the Warrior Reefs System in Torres Strait, Australia (to Enesar Consulting Pty Ltd for AGL Petronas Consortium).
- Offshore Oil Production Facilities Environmental Upgrade (2003-2004) - Peer review and assessment of current oily waste and wastewater discharges from offshore oil and gas production, Gas and Oil Separation Plant (GOSP) and tie-in platforms and determination of compliance with local and international effluent and receiving water quality standards. Assessment also provided conceptual process engineering design solutions for platform upgrades in Saudi Aramco's Northern Area Oil Operations (NAOO) (in association with ABB Lummus Global B.V. to Saudi Consulting and Design Office (SCADO) for Saudi Aramco, Oil Facilities Planning Division).
- Offshore Seismic Program (2003) - Technical review, edit and contributions to Seafood Industry Victoria report on "Potential Effects of Seismic Noise on Southern Rock Lobster Larvae" from underwater noise generated by proposed offshore seismic surveys along the southwest coast of Victoria, Australia (to Santos Limited).
- BHP/Ok Tedi Mining Limited Legal Proceedings (1994) - Expert witness for BHP/Ok Tedi Mining Limited in relation to aquatic biological and resource effects of the Ok Tedi Copper/Gold Mine, Western Province, Papua New Guinea (to Arthur Robinson & Hedderwicks, Solicitors & Notaries for Ok Tedi Mining Limited).
- Horn Island Environmental Review (1993) - Peer review and assessment of trace metal concentration data for mangrove cockles (Polymedosa erosa) and marine sediments in relation to metal-contaminated runoff from a former gold mining site on Horn Island, Torres Strait (for Queensland Department of Minerals & Energy).
- Torres Strait Baseline Study (1993) - Peer and technical review, statistical analyses and interpretation of baseline results from the Torres Strait Scientific Baseline Program (to Ok Tedi Mining Limited, Papua New Guinea).
- Northshore Noosa Project (1986) - Peer review of sewage effluent management options and assessment of potential water quality impacts on the Noosa River, Queensland (with NSR/Maunsell & Partners for Leisuremark Australia Pty,. Ltd).