MINING & MINERALS PROCESSING
A principal area of expertise of EnviroGulf Consulting lies in preparing environmental impact assessments for the mining and minerals processing industry in association with other environmental consultants by offering complementary specialist inputs.
The Principal of EnviroGulf Consulting has a long association with the mining industry, having been employed within the industry (three years at a gold/copper mine as Senior Biologist) as well as having undertaken over 45 consulting and/or trouble-shooting assignments for mining projects and operating mines in Papua New Guinea (22 projects), Ghana (12), Australia (5) and one project each in Fiji, Laos, Malaysia, Mexico, New Caledonia and The Philippines.
EnviroGulf Consulting offers the following services to clients in the mining and minerals industry:
The most successful and cost-effective environmental controls are those controls that are integrated into a project during its design phase. Incorporation of modern pre-emptive design technologies during the early project planning process, can avoid environmental problems at a later date which are costly to remedy.
EnviroGulf Consulting undertakes environmental assignments associated with the exploration, prefeasibility, feasibility and development phases of small projects. This entails site reconnaissance, preliminary baseline studies to collect and collate data needed for the preparation of environmental assessment documents (EIAs, etc.),
environmental permitting, and early government agency communications and liaison on environmental concerns and matters.
During the project feasibility phase, mine plans and development strategies are largely unknown, waste management and disposal strategies are rudimentary, and mining companies do not generally have environmental teams onboard. EnviroGulf Consulting provides environmental consulting services to the mining and minerals industry to cover crucial aspects of the feasibility and development phases of new projects.
Environmental Impact Statements
Environmental impact assessment documents, such as, EIA, EIS, EM& MP, now form an essential regulatory requirement in the development planning process for new mines. The statement predicts the effects of the development on the environment.
From a mining industry perspective, the purpose of environmental impact assessment is to enable the proponents, in consultation with the government, to identify the key environmental aspects of their project as early as possible and ensure that their management is integrated into the planning process; to ensure
that any adverse environmental impacts are minimised; and to act as an aid to decision making.
EnviroGulf Consulting undertakes government agency communications and liaison on behalf of clients to identify and mutually agree on environmental data requirements necessary to prepare impact assessment documentation.
Waste management and disposal strategies can give rise to contamination of natural drainages and coastal waters by the entry of mine-derived sediments and associated metal contaminants. The current trend of stricter legislative controls on waste and wastewater discharges means that waste management and disposal strategies need to be environmentally sound, whilst remaining economically viable.
EnviroGulf Consulting and specialist subconsultants are able to undertake complete environmental assessments of small projects which require waste characterisation, water quality and biological surveys, predictive ecotoxicological assessments, and the planning, design, and execution of cost-effective and efficient monitoring programs.
The Principal of EnviroGulf Consulting has been involved with the following mining projects and operations:
- Simberi Sulphide Gold Project (2020 - ongoing) - Assessment of existing oxide gold mining impacts on terrestrial, freshwater and marine environments, and prediction of residual marine ecological impacts of sulphide gold mining Deep Sea Tailings Placement (DSTP) on submarine slope, ocean floor and water column habitats, flora and fauna. Assistance in writing the Social and Environmental Impact Statement (SEIS) (for Ocean Sciences International to Simberi Gold Mining Company Limited).
- Nambonga Portal Decline Project (2018 - ongoing) - Review and assessment of suspended sediment loading of rivers downstream of construction activties for an underground mining portal, waste rock dumps, laydown areas, clay borrow pits, temporary stockpiling of soils and a new or upgraded road network and assessment of impacts on water quality and aquatic life (for Coffey Pty Ltd to Wafi-Golpu Joint Venture, Papua New Guinea).
- Sepik Development Project (2018) - Peer review and data gap analysis of freshwater ecology impact assessment of an Integrated Storage Facility (ISF) impoundment designed to receive mine tailings and waste rock, including an assessment of downstream impacts on aquatic ecology of receiving rivers and off-channel water bodies (to Coffey Environments Pty Ltd for Frieda River Limited).
- Sepik River Bioaccumulation Study (2018) - Project 2018b. Peer review and data gap analysis of proposed bioaccumulation and biomagnification study in relation to a screening level ecological risk assessment. Assessment of the behaviour, toxicity and fate of particulate and dissolved metals and metalloids on freshwater invertebrates and fish (to Coffey Environments Pty Ltd for Tetra Tech Centre for Ecolgical Sciences, Maryland USA).
- Sepik Development Project (2018) Review of the behaviour and fate of particulate-associated, dissolved and monomeric aluminium species in circum-neutral freshwater environments. Including review of baseline water quality (aluminium types and concentrations) and toxicity of aluminium species to freshwater organisms. Development of chronic toxicity criteria applicable to compliance points in the Frieda and Sepik rivers downstream of the Frieda River Copper-Gold Project (to Coffey Environments Pty Ltd for Frieda River Limited).
- Waisoi Copper and Gold Project, Fiji (2016 - 2017) - Review and gap analysis of existing baseline information. Environmental impact assessment of project construction and operations on riverine water quality and freshwater ecology (to Coffey for Newcrest (Fiji) Limited).
- Wafi-Golpu Project (2016 - ongoing) - Peer reviews of baseline studies of freshwater ecology, marine ecology and ecosystems services. Assessments of residual freshwater ecology impacts of onshore pipeline construction and residual marine ecological impacts of Deep Sea Tailings Placement (DSTP) on Huon Gulf submarine slope, seabed and water column habitats, flora and fauna (for Coffey to Wafi-Golpu Joint Venture).
- Solwara 1 Project (2016 - ongoing) - Underwater noise and vibration assessment and predicted acoustic damage and disturbance impacts on whales, dolphins, fish and sea snakes from a Seafloor Massive Sulphide (SMS) mining operation (to Nautilus Minerals, Inc.).
- Don Diego Phosphate Sands Project (2016) - Literature review of loggerhead turtles (Caretta caretta) in the Gulf of Ulloa, Baja California Sur, Mexico in relation to the denial of environmental licence application for a phosphate sands mining project by the Mexican Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources (SEMARNAT) and providing advice and a letter report addressing SEMARNAT concerns about the potential impacts of dredging operations on sea turtles (to Odyssey Marine Exploration.
- Ok Tedi Mine Pit Shell Variation (PSV) Project (2014 - 2015) - Expert review and assessment of the Riverine Aquatic Ecology Program for mine life extension and technical and textual inputs to the proposed Ok Tedi Environmental Management Act (OKTEMA) (to Coffey Environments for PNG Department of Environment and Conservation).
- Ok Tedi Mine Life Extension Project (2013) - Review and assessment of the appropriateness, completeness and certainty of predictions for future changes to fish biomass and diversity downstream of the Ok Tedi mine under mine life extension scenarios compared to closure in 2015 (to Coffey Environments for PNG Department of Environment and Conservation).
- Frieda River Gold/Copper Project (2010 - 2011) - Provision of strategic and technical advice on an approach to the downstream environmental impact assessment of construction and mining operations; assess the aquatic environmental impacts of project construction, mining and hydro-electric dam operation on downstream aquatic habitats and biological communities (to Coffey Environments for Xstrata Frieda River Limited).
- Koniambo Nickel Project (2004-2005) - Phase I Sediment Impact Study: Assessment of the potential impacts of total suspended sediment (TSS) concentrations on freshwater habitats and aquatic life, and formulation of TSS Effects Threshold Criteria for the protection of aquatic life (to Roche Limited Consulting Group for Falconbridge Nouvelle-Calédonie SAS).
- Sepon Gold Project (2001) - Environmental issues and sensitivities of the Sepon Gold Project, Sepon, Lao Peoples Democratic Republic. Review of aquatic environmental impact assessment for preparation of an Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) (to NSR for Oxiana Resources NL).
- Ramu Nickel Project (1998-99) - Riverine, coastal and deep-sea aquatic biological impacts of lateritic nickel mining wastes and wastewaters. (to NSR Environmental Consultants Pty. Ltd. for Highlands Pacific Limited).
- Nena Copper/Gold Prospect (1994) - Site visit report and review of environmental sensitivities and issues of the Nena Copper/Gold Prospect, northwest Papua New Guinea, including preparation of an aquatic biological and aquatic resource use baseline survey (to Environmental Management & Monitoring Pty. Ltd for Highlands Gold Limited, Papua New Guinea).
- Tolukuma Gold Project (1993) - Assessment of the aquatic biological and resource use effects of mine-derived sediments entering the Angabanga River system, Papua New Guinea (to NSR Environmental Consultants Pty. Ltd. for Dome Resources).
- Lihir Gold Project, Papua New Guinea (1991) - Lower Londolovit River Management Study. Assessment of the potential effects of regulated river flows likely to result from a water supply scheme on downstream aquatic biology, subsistence fisheries and land resources (to NSR Environmental Consultant Pty. Ltd. for Kennecott-Niugini Mining Joint Venture).
- Porgera Gold Mine (1991) - Critical appraisal of review by Department of Environment & Conservation (PNG) of the environmental baseline and compliance monitoring program of Porgera Gold Mine (with NSR Environmental Consultants Pty. Ltd. for Porgera Joint Venture).
- Effects of Mining on the Ghanaian Environment (1991) - River environment impact assessments of five Ghanaian operating mines and formulation of guidelines for draft legislation to minimise the effects of new mining developments on the Ghanaian environment (with NSR for Minerals Commission, Government of Ghana).
- Hidden Valley Gold Project Environmental Plan (1989) - Environmental impact assessment of potential river biological effects arising from the direct discharge of tailing and/or tailing supernatant (with NSR for CRA Gold Pty. Ltd.).
- Misima Gold Project Environmental Plan (1985-86) - Assessment of the marine biological effects of at-depth marine tailing disposal and near-surface dumping of soft oxidised waste, on the basis of aeration-dilution and bioassay tests, field dump trials and predictions of waste transport and dispersion (with NSR Environmental Consultants Pty. Ltd. for Placer (PNG) Pty. Limited).
- Porgera Gold Project Environmental Plan (1985-86) - Assessment of river biological effects of mill tailing and mine waste disposal, based on laboratory aeration-dilution and bioassay tests and river transport modelling (with NSR Environmental Consultants Pty. Ltd. for Placer (PNG) Pty. Limited).
- Goonumbla Copper/Gold Project (1985) - Water quality review and revised program for the assessment of mine water and wastewater management options for Goonumbla Mine, Parkes, (NSW) (with NSR Environmental Consultants Pty. Ltd. for Peko-Wallsend Ltd.).
- Bukit Young Goldmine (1989) - Assessment of water and wastewater management, disposal and detoxification of cyanided gold mill and heap leach effluents from the Bukit Young Gold Mine, Sarawak, Malaysia (with NSR Environmental Consultants Pty. Ltd. for Middle East Timber Company, Singapore).
- See Principal's CV for other examples.
This website has a